Terms & Conditions
Last updated: August 12, 2014
Thank you for using GreatPhillySchools.org (hereinafter, the “website”). This page states the terms and conditions which apply to the website and any materials, online communications and other information that is or becomes available on the website. By using the website you accept and agree to be bound by these terms.
General Terms & Conditions
Neither the website nor the name, ‘GREAT PHILLY SCHOOLS,’ is affiliated with GreatSchools, Inc. GREATSCHOOLS is a registered trademark of GreatSchools, Inc.
The website is owned by the Philadelphia School Partnership (“PSP”), a nonprofit institution that is tax exempt under IRS 501[c](3) regulations. The website is designed to provide users with information to help them compare, find and choose schools, understand the Philadelphia school system(s) and support schools in their community. The information included on the website is provided free of charge as a user convenience and is for informational purposes only. Neither PSP nor other project partners shall be liable to you or anyone else for any error, omission, deletion, defect, failure of performance, computer virus, communication line failure, alteration of, or use of any content herein, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom.
PSP reserves the right to refuse to post or to remove any information that is, in PSP's sole discretion, unacceptable or undesirable. This applies both to general users, who may post comments, and school users, who are eligible to post and revise content on school profile pages. By posting content, including comments, to any part of the website, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to PSP an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, perform, display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such information and content and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such information and content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. PSP authorizes you to view and download the materials on the website solely for your personal, non-commercial use.
As a website user of GreatPhillySchools, you agree (1) to not submit any content that is protected by copyright or otherwise proprietary information of a third party, unless you have the right to do so; (2) any comment or other information you submit may be modified for brevity or for any other reason prior to posting at the sole discretion of GreatPhillySchools’ site monitor; (3) the GreatPhillySchools website and its contents are provided “as is” without any warranty, to the maximum extent permitted by law; (4) any information you submit will be true and correct to the best of your knowledge; and (6) you will indemnify and hold GreatPhillySchools harmless to the extent that GreatPhillySchools is subject to claims arising from any information that you submit.
The purpose of posting comments is for users to share information regarding the website and schools located in Philadelphia. PSP in its sole discretion reserves the right to edit, abbreviate or remove comments as needed for purposes of brevity or when comments don’t adhere to these guidelines:
1. Do not include names of students or teachers. The website is for families to learn more about schools in Philadelphia. It is okay to relate experiences you have had with regard to one or more schools, but the website is not an appropriate forum for comments that identify specific students or individuals working in a school.
2. Do not use offensive language.
3. Do not post comments or pictures that are inappropriate for audiences under the age of 18, including sexually explicit comments/pictures, on the website.
4. Do not post any information, such as email addresses or detailed physical descriptions, that would help other users to identify minors under the age of 14.
5. Do not encourage inappropriate communications or interactions with or between children in any way.
6. Obey the law. If you are not sure that what you want to comment is legal, do not post it without checking. Contact the website using the “Contact Us” form if you have questions.
7. Respect copyright law. Please do not cut and paste articles or other original content for which you are not the copyright holder, unless you have the explicit permission of the original publisher. PSP is required by law to remove all copyrighted material if requested by the copyright holder. It is okay to refer to the title of original content, to summarize it in your own words, and to direct other users to a site or other location where that original content can be found.
8. Be aware that what you post on the website will be visible to all users of GreatPhillySchools.org and could end up anywhere on the Internet.
9. Do not post anything that contains harmful code, including viruses or other codes that harm computer software or programs or the proper functioning of any software, hardware or equipment or materials.
10. Do not collect screen names or email addresses from the website for any commercial use.
11. Don't believe or trust everything you read. When a comment recommends something, such as a product or service, it is a personal recommendation and not one endorsed by the website or its partners.
12. Do not post advertisements for other websites, products or services.
13. Do not use GreatPhillySchools to spread spam. Do not post chain letters, pyramid schemes or junk mail.
14. Please do not use ALL CAPS in comments, except perhaps to indicate a book title or proper name. Writing in all capital letters is the online equivalent of shouting.
15. Do not misrepresent your identity. While your full name typically will not be visible to users unless you want it to, it is going too far to post in such a way that you give the impression that you are someone you are not.
16. Do not repost something that was deleted from Comments. Comment privileges may be revoked for members who violate this and other guidelines.
17. Help us monitor Comments. If someone is behaving inappropriately on the website, please report what you have seen to PSP by using the “Contact Us” form that can be found on the bottom of any page on GreatPhillySchools.org.
18. Do not use Comments to make customer-service inquiries regarding the website. Instead, please visit our "Contact Us" page that can be found at the bottom of any page on the site.
The website may contain links to third-party websites. These links are solely to assist users in locating other Internet resources that may be of interest to them, and you assume sole responsibility and risk for your use of links to third-party websites. The accuracy or reliability of any of the information of those resources is not endorsed by GreatPhillySchools.
PSP shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to make improvements and/or changes in any aspect of the website at any time and does not accept any responsibility for the effects these alterations may have. PSP also reserves the right to change, modify, add or remove terms of this agreement at any time without notice. You agree to review this Agreement periodically since such changes, modifications, additions or deletions shall be effective immediately upon posting and your subsequent use after such posting shall conclusively be deemed to be acceptance by you of such changes, modifications or deletions.
Except where otherwise noted, all website contents Copyright © 2012-2014 of Philadelphia School Partnership (PSP). All rights reserved under United States and foreign law. No part of the materials on the website, including but not limited to the text, graphics and html code, may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means without written permission from PSP.
By using GreatPhillySchools.org, you consent to the information collection and use practices described in this policy, as modified from time to time by PSP. If we decide to change our privacy statement, we will post a new policy on the website and change the "last updated" date on the “Terms & Conditions” page. Therefore, we encourage you to check the date of our Terms & Conditions policies whenever you visit the website for any updates or changes.
Information We Collect
GreatPhillySchools.org collects personal information (just name and email address) only when you voluntarily choose to join our online community, either by signing up for a free email newsletter or by registering to make public comments. Browsing or using the site to search for schools is free and does not require registration. This means that you can use the website without telling us who you are or revealing any information about yourself.
Non-Personal User Data
The site logs non-personal data such as IP addresses in order to help us understand which content is most visited, analyze trends and patterns, make the site more user-friendly, and improve security. We only use this information in aggregate and do not link it to you personally.
We also collect generic information about our visitors to better understand which browsers they use, how many times various pages of the site are visited, and other trends. This information can include “cookies,” which are small data files that assist in the collection of website-usage information. You may disable cookies in any web browser, usually by going to the browser’s “Preferences” page.
Surveys or Promotions
From time to time we may provide you the opportunity to participate in surveys, contests or other promotions. If you participate, we may request certain personally identifiable information from you, solely for the purpose of contacting you in connection with the survey or promotion. Participation in surveys or promotions is completely voluntary and you will therefore always have a choice whether or not to disclose this information.
Customer Service Correspondence
We may collect information that identifies you personally when you submit comments, questions or suggestions via the website’s “Contact Us” page or form.
Use of Personal and Non-Personal Information
None of the information described above is ever shared with third parties, unless a user has granted explicit permission, except for vendors who contractually may only use the data for the purpose of assisting in the operation of GreatPhillySchools.org.
We occasionally employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include sending e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists and providing customer service. These vendors have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but may not use it for other purposes.
We share personally identifiable information that you have voluntarily provided to GreatPhillySchools with third parties only when users have permitted or requested that we do so. An example would be you sending us an email via the “Contact Us” page in which you request that we share your information with a school or other third party. We never share your personally identifiable information with third parties for the purpose of marketing sales promotions or other advertisements intended to encourage the purchase of products or services. At any time, you may request that your personally identifiable information be removed from our email newsletter subscription list(s) or from the list(s) of registered commenters.
If you have provided GreatPhillySchools with your email address, we will send you strictly service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so: for instance, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance. Generally, you may not opt out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to cancel your account with GreatPhillySchools via the “Contact Us” page or form.
Change in Ownership
If GreatPhillySchools becomes the property of new ownership, whether by merger, sale of assets or otherwise, the new owner(s) will be bound by the current Terms & Conditions in perpetuity in regard to personal information collected up to and through the date of the ownership change.
We also may have to release personally identifying information when it is necessary to comply with judicial or other government subpoenas, warrants or orders, or to protect the rights, property or safety of GreatPhillySchools or its partners.
Removing Your Personal Information
If at any time you do not want us to send you information about GreatPhillySchools, or you want your user account shut down, you may inform us and we will work promptly to remove your name from our email lists and/or active accounts database. You may also click the unsubscribe link on our email newsletters.
Access to Your Information
If for any reason you are concerned that the personal information we received from you is not correct, please contact us. We will be happy to review, update or remove information as appropriate.